Saturday 7 April 2012

My First Big Fat French Wedding!


 OK, admittedly, it's not my big Fat French Wedding, but it is certainly my first wedding.  After 8 years of living in sin (whatever that is!), Granddad John and Gran Kat finally tied the knot, there by setting a much better example to the young people.


There were lots of people at the wedding besides me, including Great Auntie Sonja and Great Uncle Dave - (Gosh - that makes them sound positively ancient, doesn't it?)  Although Granddad complained a lot, I was the only one who cried.  I believe it is traditional for weddings - however, I should point out, I wasn't overly emotional or disapproving.  It's just that 3.30pm is prime nap time for me, and I didn't appreciate being woken up.  I didn't get any of the pink champagne either.  


WAITTING!!  WHY AM I WAITING?
Things did however look up once we moved onto the reception at Bastide des Magnans.  Dating from the 18th century and surrounded by mulberry trees, this attractive restaurant with rooms was originally a monastery, and now provides a most charming setting for a gastronomic adventure.  


Baby Led Weaning rules OK!  Yes, Yes, YES!!  I had it all.  Three hours of delicious tasty morsels, as I careered through the 4 course menu.  Who else but a baby led weaner would have sat so patiently?  First there were the nibbles (l'amuse bouche, if you want to get all technical on me).  I especially enjoyed the polenta cakes.  The starters were fabulous too: asparagus tart (white and green) in a creamy sauce.  I managed to work my way through a large slice, before scoring this delicious chilled tomato soup.


The garden in the summer - we MUST go back!
No one thought I would have room for any main - but it was delcious garlic roasted lamb with a rosemary jus, with baby veggies.  I even managed to squeeze in some of Auntie Sonja's baked cod.  Then there was the cheese course - a bit of a worry, I'm afraid - I mean - what happened to pudding?  Then it arrived after all - raspberry mouse, chocolate tart and icecream.  However, the real delight, which left me (literally) squealing for more was the lavender scented creme brulee.   Heaven on a plate - even though Mummy wouldn't let me try the sugar topping.  I am only 8 months old, after all.


So, it is official - I am a gourmet baby.  Tsshhh...  everyone was amazed...  but it is only custard after all.  I didn't get to try the coffee - but just when it seemed the Fat Lady really had sung, they turned up with the petit fours - that's French for even more dessert!  The little lemon meringue pies were divine.  The only calamity of the evening came when Daddy ripped the Rum baba from my sweaty grip, panicking in case it might actually contain alcohol.  It didn't.  Boy, did I protest! 


The Bride and Groom!


So there you go - my first gourmet dinner and my first wedding.  On the whole, I liked it.  I liked it a lot.  


Here's the happy couple.  I think they look rather lovely, and I love their taste in food.


Big kisses to Grandad and my new Gran 


Love Madeleine  X x


Les Bastide des Magnans is open daily for discerning diners of all ages. 




1 comment: